Thursday 24 September 2009

New Things; AFP & Skindred

Well well well my darlings. I have a lot of things to tell you about this time. It's awesome, because life seems to be going well for me at the moment. As you may know (or not..) I have been transferred to a different Mental Asylum. I do miss most from my old place, even some of the doctors. However I have made lots of friends, visited lots of people and generally having a very good time at the moment. So my darlings, Here is what I have been doing;

I saw Amanda Palmer live (11/09/09) AGAIN dolls. It was awesome, and one of the most unusual gigs I have been too. For those whom follow Amanda, will know that she has a habit of doing odd things. Well this venue was a church. Yes indeed my darlings, slightly going against all my principles here, as usually I would never set foot in a church however AFP made it all right. All the audience sat in the pews, which was pretty cool. But before I tell you about her show; she had a support called Polly Scattergood. Now, I was thoroughly looking forward to seeing the support, seen as last time her support was brilliant and I loved them. I didn't think much of Polly Scattergood though. A bit... flimsy her songs were. She had a nice enough voice, but wasn't using it to her advantage. However she did show it off later on. Amanda's gig was very fun; seen as she hadn't planned very much of it, didn't know what to play and interacted with the audience. I really like Amanda's shows because you don't just hear her music you also experience her personality, I feel that you don't get that a lot with gigs. I went with my step dad as I did last time (the only reason the doctors would let me out) and we both though it was a brilliant gig. Though undecided as to whether the first or this time was better. In this show she did different songs, and didn't have the danger enable so everyone focused on her more. My favourite ones she did was 'Mandy goes to Med School' 'Missed Me' and she did 'Will' too because the Church had an organ, which was really good. She also played some stuff on her Uke like Making Woopie, along with a rendition of 'Puff the magic Dragon' with Polly ScatterGood. Someone has made a montage of her show on the 11th. which i must say was brilliant and i would consider traveling half the country again to see her.

My my my, Dolls, you will never guess what. I have a new addition to the family, I have been lent a Tenor Saxophone. He is truly beautiful in many ways. Compared to my Alto he is quite big and makes a lovely sound. Now he is only a temporary addition to my musical family; though I don't know for how long, but I was given him by the band I play for 'MYJO'. I am still playing my alto though for the school jazz band so she wont be forgotten don't worry.

Darlings, have you heard the news? 2 of my favourite bands have released new CDs and I have managed to get my greedy little hands on them both.
  • Skindred's 'Shark bites and Dog Fights' apparently mini album still has a substantial 8 track on, Its a brilliant CD. Heaver then their last one, a little more metalish but still sounding like Skindred and some brilliant new tunes. It's defiantly stuff to Mosh/Dance/head bang too.

  • Pearl Jam's 'Backspacer' is a pretty good CD. the more I listen to it the more I like it. It's a good CD with a good range of what Pearl Jam can do. It's also nice too see them Keeping with their music and producing good stuff. However I do have one qualm with the CD, yes I know my darlings, shocking. But it seems to me that Eddie Vedder, whom has the voice of a god, is starting to sound a little more like Chris Cornell and people like that. I am slightly scared, if I may says so.

Now last but defiantly not least my darlings; I saw Skindred live (10/10/09). Oh My Gosh. one of the best concerts I have been to in a while. I will start of with the supports. they had 3 supports 1 of them I couldn't tell you the name of because they never mentioned it in their set, however I didn't think much of them (they were out of key A LOT). The next support band where Karnivool. These were amazing, his voice was brilliant and they had a mixture of very heavy and light stuff. The guitars reminded me of Tool a little bit, and these completely took my fancy. I now have both their CDs. Lets just say; I didn't expect them to be That good live. I wish they could have done a longer set. After 'Karnivool' was 'Dead by April'. These are a screamo-y band whom where quite good. I enjoyed their set, heaver than the others, they had great mosh pits and were really energetic on stage. moving on to the main band of the night; Skindred. They were brilliant Benji got the whole crowd jumping up and down waving their arms. It was so fun. I was being pushed and shoved about, however you have to expect that with everyone jumping at the same time. And I enjoyed the pushing a shoving because it had its benefits, I was right at the front of the gig for the last 2 songs. They played songs from all their albums which I was pleased about; Starting off with one from their new songs Stand for Something then took a range from 'Roots Rock Riot' and 'Babylon'. They played most of my favourite songs, which was really good, and most of the songs they played were the heaver ones which meant a great time for headbanging. Benji's voice was superb along with the guitar playing and drumming. I found it great fun, one of the best gigs i have been too in a long time. Also one of the ones I have spent the most at. buying 2 CDs and a Skindred Hoodie; but they are worth it. I am now nursing a soar throat and a bad neck, but the doctors will help me with that.

Anyhow my darlings, now on to art. I have been given a years subscription to Deviantart by one of the most generous and talented people. Some of you might know him... he does a lot of things; He Blogs, Takes Beautiful photos, and is in to some very good music. Adrian is very cool and I suggest you follow him, but not in the stalkerish sense.. because that's my job. Anyway he is really supporting me and my work, encouraging me and stuff like that and I have to thank him. Slowly more and more people are starting to enjoy my work, which is something I am really pleased about.

Now now my darlings, I have to be off. I'm being called to be sedated, apparently I was far too excited last night and the doctors didn't like it.

Enjoy,
XxX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment?